Tuesday, September 21

My musings...

Sorry I haven't been around here too much, people.  In lieu of my absence, I'll try to make this one an interesting bit of bloggery.

After I added a few extra lines to my sister blog (to go there, see Emily's virtual rocket ) I decided to browse about among fellow bloggers to let them know what's up.  Well, the first one was a happy couple, and they were so devoted to either a very handsome little boy, or a precious, pretty little girl. And  then there was another, and another, and another.   Oh, how they would gush.  I'm not certain how they got put together by their computer, but no doubt it was a sizable amount.

What occurred to me, though, was this:  how are you going to deal with your little cutesie-pies if they turn out to be homosexual?

I chose heterosexual vs. homosexual behavior because these are the most widely studied and known groups.  There is bisexualism and transsexualism to be considered, but this is a good starting point.   Some researchers count homosexuals as low as 3 percent, some as high as 13 percent (a few are as high as 20 percent), but the bulk are approximately 10 percent.

Now, here's where you come in.  Grab yourself a 10-sided die.  If you don't have one, a specialty store will sell one to you cheaply.  Next, write down a number, 0 to 9. I can't see you through the blogosphere, but please don't cheat or fudge. (If you are playing with someone, have her/him write it secretly.  This makes it fairer.) Now roll the die, write down the number, then roll it again, then write down the second number. (1)

Any die which you have rolled which matches the original  number is an imaginary homosexual child.

Even if no child met this criterion, the odds of 1 in 10 being homosexual are extremely  common.  If you play the game where ping-pong balls are drawn, it's like that - but only one machine being used, balls numbered 0 through 9.

Now comes the hard question - if one of your children turns out to be homosexual, will you love that child?  I hope so.

Notes

(1) The average number of children per fertile couple in the United States is slightly more than two (2.06) (Wikipedia).  For the sake of convenience, I have rounded it to the nearest whole number [two].For other countries, or to compare it to the world as a whole, please see here.

No comments: